Song of Solomon 5:6-16

07 March 2019


[5:6-16] The Shulamite didn’t initially want to open the door to the bridegroom.  It was late at night and she didn’t want to get out of bed.  After she smelt the sweet smell of her lover, she wanted to open the door to him.  Verse 6 says, “I opened to my lover, but he was gone!  My heart sank, I searched for him but could not find him anywhere.  I called to him, but there was no reply.”  She had broken fellowship with her lover.  The Shulamite left the King’s home to try to find her lover.  She was found by the night watchmen and they beat her and took her veil.  She was bruised and wounded by the watchmen. 


The Shulamite pleads with the Daughter’s of Jerusalem to tell Solomon that she is weak with love.  The Daughter’s of Jerusalem don’t understand why she is love-sick for this King.  They question what makes him so great or different from other men.  The Shulamite spends verses 10-16 describing King Solomon.  She loved him so deeply and intimately that she was able to describe him in every detail.  She had the utmost respect and love for the King.  She ends with Song of Solomon 5:16, “His mouth is sweetness itself; he is desirable in every way.  O women of Jerusalem, this is my lover, this is my friend.”

Instagram