PSALM 3:2

16 January 2023

 

Many there be which say of my soul, “There is no help for him in God.” Selah But thou, O Lord, art my helper, my Glory and the lifter of my head!

PSALM 3:2
Wearying voices heap complaints
Murmur both day and night
Constant mutters of weariness
"There is no hope in sight."

Because I am a Child of God
I need not listen in
Such is a time for studied pause
Time to let life sink in

Selah

With a pause and then wondrous praise
My voice shall rise to Thee
Train my soul to with upward gaze
Look upon Calvary

With fixed eyes, as You lift my chin
Cause my fears to desert
For thou, O Lord, art my Sovereign
Larger than "my great hurt"

my inspiration 

We have all been subjected to the wearying voices which flood the very atmosphere around us, complaining, “There is no help…” These voices murmur and mutter the same words, no matter what the challenge or difficulty may be. “There is no help…” But because you and I are in God, we need not listen: “There is no help…,” They repeat.  Pause. “But you, O Lord, are my helper!”

No matter to us what the voices say. Their words bring only weariness – but with His word comes peace and strength and courage to go on. Some believe that selah signifies also a sudden pealing-forth of musical instruments. The pause, then, was for praise

Then let us fill all of our pauses with praise! Let us give all that lies within us, not to the voices of the enemy, but to pure praise, to pure loving adoration, and to worship from a grateful heart – a heart that is trained to look up.

Amy Carmichael, Thou Givest – They Gather, p. 18


My sweet Dad, John Kennedy, was diagnosed with ALS on July 19, 2022. He is braving the most devastating diagnosis that I could imagine. In prayer, he refers to this trial as “my great hurt,” and I never want to forget this.

Instagram