Philemon | Overview

04 March 2018


Who is involved?
Paul, an apostle; appointed by Jesus Christ himself and by God the Father, who raised Jesus from the dead. 

Philemon, a friend of Paul and a fellow believer in Jesus Christ who lived of Colosse.

Onesimus, a runaway slave who belonged to Philemon.

What is happening? 
Onesimus had run away from Philemon and ended up running into Paul, who was ministering in Rome.  Paul led Philemon to faith in Jesus Christ.  Onesimus returned to Colosse with the personal letter that Paul had written Philemon.  The letter encourages Philemon to re-instate Onesimus back into his household… not as a slave, but as a fellow brother.  Paul then asks Philemon to send Onesimus back to him, to be a fellow laborer in the cause of Christ.    

Where is it happening?
Colosse and Rome

When is it happening?
It is thought that Paul would have been around 60 years of age at this time [AD 60 or 61].  Paul was imprisoned in Rome.

Why is it happening?
To Cause the Audience to Learn:  Jesus Transforms Believers from Slave to Beloved Brother

How does it point to Jesus?
Philemon 1:16-19, “He is no longer like a slave to you.  He is more than a slave, for he is a beloved brother, especially to me.  Now he will mean much more to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord.  So, if you consider me your partner, welcome him as you would welcome me.  If he has wronged you in any way or owes you anything, charge it to me.  I, Paul, write this with my own hand; I will repay it.  And I won’t mention that you owe me your very soul!”

Instagram