A Little Thing Called Love {He Designed You}

30 June 2014

{Art print by Megan Gilger.}

***This was written 14 years ago - while I was a student at the U of A***
Often times when we thing of the Creator, we think of just that {a creator}. But He is much more than that.  Before you create something you have to design it. 

I am now a junior interior design student at the University of Arkansas. If there is anything I have learned the past two years, it is that design is essential. I spend countless hours in my design studio working on my projects. I spend time making sure the walls are the correct thickness, the ceiling is at the right height, the hallways are ADA acceptable and well, the list goes on and on. I cannot begin to tell you the numerous codes and regulations that are necessary to make a design a true success. The sad thing is, I am just designing a building, let alone a human being. When I stop and think of all the details that I put into my drawings, I can't help but think of my designer. Think about it... God designed you!

Read Psalm 139:13-16  For you formed my inward parts; you covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are your works, and that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was made in secret and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them.

He designed your skin tone, your hair color, your shoe size and height; and yes, your unique fingerprint. The master of the universe designed all of who you are. All of it is unique to you. And all of it is necessary to make you... YOU!

This is often times hard to accept, given the fact that the majority of us have something that we are unsatisfied with. A part of our body we would love to change or at least modify. My entire life has been consumed with not being satisfied. No matter how much weight I lose it still isn't enough. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't driven me to the point of anorexia, in fact I am far from that. But, it has consumed my thoughts and at points in my life, been my only focus as to how to keep and make friends.

Having been chunky the majority of my life, I have hit some pretty low points in my life. But one thing remains true... God Designed Me! Wow, what an honor.  Jesus had you in mind all along. Before He created the world, he designed you. You may not be perfect in the world's eyes, but He loves you. He designed you. You are His {one of a kind} work of art.

The next time you look in the mirror and you start to notice all the flaws, maybe you should stop and think. Just like an antique dealer loves an original piece of furniture, flaws and all, so does your designer. You're an original. Those “flaws” add character. Those imperfections tell something about you and more importantly they tell something about your designer.

I bet your thinking yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a lot easier said then done. Well, you know what, I agree. It's hard to like yourself the way you are. It's hard to accept yourself the way you are. It is hard!!! Don't you realize that your designer understands this? He knows that it is impossible for me to like who I am. But that was part of the design...  He wants me to love Him; and in doing so, I will earn to love myself.

John 14:15-18 says, “If you love me keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever – the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.”

Isn't it great to know that the one that you love, Jesus, lives within you! Don't you think if you love your comforter, who lives in you, you have all the more reason to love the home that He lives in?

About two years ago I set in my youth pastors house with his wife {Rhonda} my mentor and friend. I was crying as I told them how ugly and worthless I was. David told me, “Amy, every time you walk by a mirror or every time you see your reflection in a glass window, tell yourself, 'I am fearfully and wonderfully made.'”

It's not about how pretty, skinny or perfect we are. It is not about what we look like, what we drive, where we live... It's about who designed us.  The designer typically loves his design. And when He loves His design, He creates it!  Take a moment right now to read 

Psalm 139:13-16  For you formed my inward parts; you covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are your works, and that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was made in secret and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them.

After you have read the scripture, journal a prayer to God. Ask Him where your satisfaction lies and how you need to respond to what He has shown you.

Instagram