SLS {Sodium Laurel Sulphate}

25 March 2014

Yesterday, a dear friend of mine asked, "What is SLS?"  I was able to tell her a little bit about it and I thought I'd blog about it today.  

SLS is Sodium Laurel (or Laureth) Sulfate...



It is a chemical found in almost all soap, shampoo, beauty products, and even toothpaste. It causes the products to {foam}. Not only is it a foaming agent, but it unfortunately acts like "estrogen" in the human body.   When I discovered that the fibroid tumor in my body was "estrogen" produced,  I decided I would try to eliminate SLS (and other artificial estrogen booster's) wherever possible.

I wrote a post entitled  {Toothpaste} where I shared the new product that I am using.  This new toothpaste contains no SLS.  Well, now that I have our toothpaste figured out, I thought I'd share with you the bath soap that we use.  

Bath soap was a little trickier to figure out... Jeremiah and I prefer bar soap.  I know so many people that hate bar soap and like a liquid soap... {We all have our own preferences}  But I purchased several different types of bar soap and many of them dried out our skin.   After several attempts and a lot of itchy skin later I ended up liking this soap:



I purchased the fragerance free version and I really like it.  This is not only the most moisturizing product that I purchased but it was also the most cost effective.  The ingredients found in this bar soap are:  Coconut Soap, Water, Vegetable Glycerin, Coconut Oil



This bar soap is also {a key ingredient} in the laundry soap that I make...  I will post more about our laundry soap at a later date!

Do you use SLS in your products?  Would you be willing to change up your "normal" products if you knew that you might feel better?  Would it be worth it to you?

Instagram