PROVERBS 1:8-9

01 May 2022

 

Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. They are a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck.

PROVERBS 1:8-9
Honeysuckle fills the air,
like drops of dew loved ones share.
Tender, gentle words of truth,
blessings that will come to proof.

Fear the Lord above all else.
He'll guide your ways, despite yourself.
Dripping, falling off our tongues,
into life, these words do run.

Love the Lord with all your heart.
He'll carry you when we depart.
Pouring gently like a spout,
permeate as we walk about.

To love your neighbor as yourself
is worth more than all the wealth.
Wisdom, knowledge fill the air;
accept them as a treasure shared.

Royal attire 'round your neck
are riches that are heaven-sent.
Like honeysuckle twisted 'round
these graceful teachings do abound.

my inspiration 

When writing this poem, I thought deeply about the rich heritage of faith that my Father and Mother poured into my life. I never fully understood my parent’s love for me – until giving birth to my daughter, Lydia Beth. There is something sacred and beautiful about being a mother. I want to pass these rich truths on to my daughter. My desire is for Lydia Beth to know and believe:

“Fear the Lord above all else. He’ll guide your ways, despite yourself. Dripping, falling off our tongues, into life, these words do run. Love the Lord with all your heart. He’ll carry you when we depart. Pouring gently like a spout, permeate as we walk about.”

May it be a natural conversation to fear and love Jesus throughout our days.


This poem was featured in an art collaboration with Lioncub Creative.

Instagram