Philippians 3:15-20

25 January 2019


[3:15-20] Paul encourages mature believers to press toward the prize.  He admonishes them to not regress in their faith; yet to keep the progress that they have already made.  The only way to do this is to be led by God day by day.

In verse 17 he encourages the mature believer to pattern their lives after Paul.  Paul is not being arrogant, but he is offering his surrendered life as an example.  If a believer has been changed, they are a new creature.  Verse 18 states, “…there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ.”  Some of the characteristics of this type of individual are: an appetite for the things of this world, bragging about shameful things, and being consumed with their earthly life.  In contrast, mature believers’ citizenship, their total way of living, is in heaven.





Patience in the Routine
 Mrs. Charles Cowman
      "Be thou there till I bring thee word" (Matt. 2:13).
      
      "I'll stay where You've put me;
      I will, dear Lord, Though I wanted so badly to go;
      I was eager to march with the 'rank and file,'
      Yes, I wanted to lead them, You know.
      I planned to keep step to the music loud,
      To cheer when the banner unfurled,
      To stand in the midst of the fight straight and proud,
      But I'll stay where You've put me.
      
      "I'll stay where You've put me; I'll work, dear Lord,
      Though the field be narrow and small,
      And the ground be fallow, and the stones lie thick,
      And there seems to be no life at all.
      The field is Thine own, only give me the seed,
      I'll sow it with never a fear;
      I'll till the dry soil while I wait for the rain,
      And rejoice when the green blades appear;
      I'll work where You've put me.
      
      "I'll stay where You've put me; I will, dear Lord;
      I'll bear the day's burden and heat,
      Always trusting Thee fully; when even has come
      I'll lay heavy sheaves at Thy feet.
      And then, when my earthwork is ended and done,
      In the light of eternity's glow,
      Life's record all closed, I surely shall find
      It was better to stay than to go;
      I'll stay where You've put me."

     

Instagram